Kali Linux is a very popular operating system that is designed for digital forensics and penetration testing. It comes with a set of forensic and security tools wrapped in a Linux distro based on Debian. Kali is designed to assist security experts in determining weaknesses in computer systems. Also, Kali Linux is used by professionals in fields like security, defense, journalism, etc.
This is a step by step guide to install Kali Linux 2016.1 version on VirtualBox.
- Download Kali Linux .iso file
- Create and configure virtual instance for Kali Linux operating system in VirtualBox
- Install Kali Linux on virtual instance
- Update, Upgrade and Install DKMS moduleCommand to Update, Upgrade and Install DKMS1apt-get -y update && apt-get -y upgrade && apt-get -y install dkms
- Perform a Distribution UpgradeCommand to do a dist upgrade1apt-get dist-upgrade -y
- Install Linux HeadersCommand to install Linux headers1apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) -y
- Install VirtualBox Guest AdditionsCommands to install VirtualBox Guest Additions123456cd /mediacd cdrom0cp VBoxLinuxAdditions.run /rootcd /rootchmod 755 VBoxLinuxAdditions.run./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
- Remove the VirtualBox Guest Additions iso
- Delete the VBoxLinuxAdditions.run file from root